Together we have had plenty of experience with heat. We know that you can’t hold heat or keep it locked up. It is energy. We have learned that heat transfers from hot objects to cooler objects in 3 major ways:
1. We have a solid understanding of radiation, conduction, and convection and know real life examples of each.
2. We know where you can find heat transfer in our homes and how, together with our parents, we can improve or reduce the amount of heat transfer.
3. We understand the importance of purpose and audience when creating media texts.
Use the following website to review the 3 types of heat transfer. Next, answer the questions in complete sentences on the provided sheet.
Heat Transfer: Conduction, Convection, Radiation
Look at the following websites for ideas on how heat transfer is seen in our everyday lives.
After you read this article, use your provided sheet to list 5 ways in which you can protect your home from heat escaping or too much heat from coming in.
Use the website below to visit an interactive home. Visit each room in the house to learn how to save energy. Using your sheet, list at least 10 ways in which you can save heat energy in your house. Explain how each one can save heat energy.
We all need to take responsibility for conserving the Earth's Energy. The problem is, you are not the decision-makers in your family when it comes to how your house is run. I challenge you to find a way to CONVINCE the decision-makers in your household to implement at least 1 change that would make your home transfer less heat.
-Review all the ways that you have recorded on your sheet that it is possible to conserve heat transfer in your home.
- Decide which ones would be possible to implement in your home.
- Discuss ways that you could best present this information to the decision-makers in your home.
- Create your "vision" to help spur change in your home. Remember that your purpose and audience must be carefully considered before creating your "presentation."
- Present your "vision" at home, having somebody video your efforts.
- Reflect on how YOU feel your vision was received by answering the following questions (Remember APE):
1) How did you ensure that your presentation effectively reach your intended audience? Provide specific evidence.
2) Do you feel that your presentation was successful in persuading the "decision-makers" in your house to make at least 1 change to conserve heat transfer in your home.
3) What will be the lasting effects felt in your home because of your presentation?